Walk at Work Series
New for 2017, the Health & Wellness Coalition is promoting several opportunities to encourage walking at work.
Click here for the flyer. Plan now to lace up…Get Moving, and Get Healthy this spring.
- Walk Kansas – March 19-May 13, contact Elizabeth Brunscheen-Cartagena
- National Walking Day – April 5th, contact Angela Breer
- National Walk at Lunch Day – April 26, contact Mary Beth Chambers
- Get Fit Don’t Sit Day – May 3rd, contact Stephanie Hartung
Walk at Work Day
Walk at Work Day has been celebrated in Sedgwick County on the third Wednesday in May since 2006. This year the Health & Wellness Coalition of Wichita, along with multiple partner organizations, continues the tradition. On Wednesday, May 17th, encourage employees to boost their energy with a walk!
Click here for the 2017 flyer. Registration link coming soon.
How did your worksite participate in Walk at Work Day in 2016? Survey Responses:
- Group walk at break time
- Group walk at lunch
- Set up two different times for groups to walk for front desk coverage
- Staff walked during music recess which is scheduled every day at 3:30pm
- Marked a path around out campus that equaled one mile
- Gathered small prizes for participants to enter into a drawing for “goodie bags”
- Employees that participated were allowed to wear jeans
- Provided water (tied with blue ribbons) and stickers when walkers signed in
- Weekly Wednesday staff meeting exchanged for a group walk
How did you communicate Walk at Work Day to your employees in 2016? Survey Responses:
- Posted a flyer on the agency refrigerator
- Discussed the event at the staff meeting
- Emailed reminders to staff to walk
- Poster on the company wellness facebook page
- Reminder message sent day before and day of
- Personal invitation to employees
Ideas to promote walk at work day:
- Set up competitions between department in your worksite
- Men vs. Women – based on the percentage of men & women working at the worksite
- Competition by floors on multi-level buildings
- Does your office require front desk coverage? Consider setting up a front desk relay – one at a time, employees walk a set path and then relieve the front desk staff upon return.
- Consider allowing tennis shoe/jeans day
- Schedule a regular trash clean-up walk around your facility.
Continue to Walk at Work year round. Resources to help you succeed:
Bike Month is in May!
Each year in May, we celebrate bikes and the healthy lifestyle they promote. We recognize the benefits all over Wichita! For the 2016 calendar of events and more check out the Bike Month Website.
Bike Wichita Because…
- Time with family & friends
- Relive childhood
- Refresh — feel the breeze
- Reduce stress
- Increased fitness
- Weight loss
- Heart benefits
- Reduced stress
- Save money
- Keep the air clean
- Reduce your carbon footprint
Walktober is a month-long, physical activity incentive offered for free in our community every October.
To view the 2016 event flyer click here
League of American Bicyclist
National Bike Challenge
Commute by Bike
My Cycling Log
Alliance for Biking & Walking
Rails to Trail Conservancy
People for Bikes
The Building Blocks of a Bicycle Friendly Community
Bike Walk Wichita
Run Wichita Calendar
Wichita Bicycle Master Plan
Street Smarts: Rules & Guidance for Driving and Bicycling in Wichita